Stormtroopers are the backbone of the Imperial military, they are the front line in the fight to bring order to the galaxy. In Star Wars: Legion stormtroopers are the Imperials first corps unit option. They are mobile, adaptable, and efficient - and as such see use in the majority of Imperial forces.
Base Unit Summary:
- Damage Output - Ranged: Below Average: 1.5
- Damage Consistency - Ranged: Average: N/A
- Damage Output - Melee: Average: 2
- Damage Consistancy - Melee: Average: N/A
- Damage Resistance: Average: 50%
- Attrition: Average: 4 wounds (1/figure)
- Range: Average: 1-3
- Speed: Average: 2
- Courage: Average:
- Role: Generalist
Stormtroopers are a jack of all trades, but masters of none. They are the workhorse of your list. Their primary job is to make progress towards completing the mission objective. Their secondary job is to engage a variety of enemies at range.
Base Unit Analysis:
The base unit of Stormtroopers are completely average in all ways except damage output. However, when you add into account their Precise keyword and an Aim token they become perfectly average (increasing their expected damage output from 1.5 to 2). This defines how you will want to play them more than how good they are. I will note however these numbers are considered average for 40 points and the stormtroopers are 44 points, making an un-upgraded unit of stormtroopers slightly inefficient.
Unique Upgrade Analysis:
- DLT-19: This is an incredibly versatile gun, and in my opinion one of if not the best gun in the game. Its two red dice increases the Stormtroopers expected output by more than double (from 1.5 to 3.25, adding an incredible 1.75 on its own) and Impact increases the units expected damage against vehicles from 0.5 to 1.6 . It also extends the range that they can engage at from 1-3 to 1-4, allowing the unit to shoot and suppress an enemy at a range that they are unlikely to be able to retaliate from. Also important to note that this weapon excels at splitting fire, with an Aim token a DLT-19 equipped Stormtrooper unit can reliably put 2 wounds into two different trooper units at once. The DLT-19 is a strongly reccomended upgrade and you will never regret taking one.
- HH-12: This is a dedicated anti-armor weapon. Like the DLT-19 it also extends the range a unit can engage from, however it has the Cumbersome keyword so you will have to be in position already before firing. It also exhausts when fired, making this weapon moderately taxing to operate. The HH-12 is also more expensive than the DLT-19 and only adds 1.8 damage compared to the DLT-19's 1.75, however when comparing damage output against vehicles it raises the units expected damage from 0.5 to almost 4. The HH-12 is a situationally recommended upgrade, its valuable when you expect to run into Armor but I would not recommend taking more than one or two.
While the base unit of Stormtroopers are inefficient, when you add a DLT-19 and an extra trooper they go up to an expected damage output of 4. This changes them from inefficient to efficient doing the expected work of an 80 point unit for 79 points - because of this I recommend adding a DLT-19 and extra trooper almost every time. I also recommend Impact or Concussion grenades on Stormtroopers, depending on if the rest of your list can handle heavy armor or not. Adding the grenades raises the cost of an upgraded unit minimally while significantly increasing their damage output at close range.
Stormtroopers want to be deployed keeping in mind that you will want them to be making progress towards the objective(s) - if this is a physical objective like Intercept the Transmissions then this means deploying close to them. Their goal is to get there first and keep the enemy from making progress towards it. The primary way they will do this is by using the DLT-19 to suppress the enemy at a range they can not retaliate from, forcing the enemy to chose between moving towards them or shooting another target. Once the enemies are in range to shoot the Stormtroopers ideally the Stormtroopers will have multiple targets and be able to split fire to further suppress the enemies. When stormtroopers attack with a weapon other than just the DLT-19 they want to have an aim token, whenever possible they want to get this aim token from outside themselves freeing up their second action to move or dodge. Stormtroopers also work best in groups, having pairs of units together increases your efficiency greatly. You can have 2 units split fire against 2 target units and put out 4 suppression instead of 2 all while doing to same amount of damage you would have if the units had focus fired on the units individually. Also keep in mind that Stormtroopers only have a courage of 1 and will want a commander nearby at all times so they dont run from their position. Even though Stormtroopers rely on an Aim token to bring their damage up to average, it is often better to move and shoot twice than to double move one turn and aim and shoot the next.
Troopers equipped with an HH-12 want to be deployed in a position where they can quickly and easily engage enemy armor. Once in range aim and shoot or recover and shoot until the armor is dealt with. If the enemy doesn't have armor or you have already dealt with it then these units of troopers become much less effective and are better spent moving and trying to make progress towards the objective - ideally the less contested objective if there is one.
When playing against Stormtroopers it is important to remember that they rely on an Aim token to get their damage output up to average. Because of this they will tend to be a bit stationary and predictable. If the unit of Stormtroopers outrange you with their DLT-19 it is best to use Line-of-Sight blocking terrain to cover your advance into a range you can attack them from. If there is insufficient LoS blocking terrain you can use then wait until after they have activated to make your advance into range. Once you are in range to attack you will want to activate before them and suppress them before they can activate; denying them their aim token and significantly lowering their expected output and efficiency.